Ahhh there’s nothing better than starting your morning off with some fresh from the oven ooey gooey cinnamon rolls! Hands down this homemade version is better than anything you will find at the mall and will likely become your new favorite recipe.
I originally spotted this recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of the Bake From Scratch magazine, which had the mouthwatering rolls as their cover story. This magazine is actually completely new to me and I was shocked that I hadn’t known about it before! I loved literally every article and read the whole thing cover to cover, which is not typical for me with magazines, as I generally just like to browse. Needless to say I knew I had to try out their recipes and these cinnamon rolls were up first! Oh. My. Goodness! These babies were instantly a winner. It is now highly requested that I make these again, and soon! The dough is soft and pillowy, mixed with the classic cinnamon sugar goodness and topped with an all-time favorite cream cheese icing. The whole tray of cinnamon rolls may have been devoured in a 24 hour period, just saying!
If you’re at all interested in baking I highly recommend checking out this magazine. I’ve only read through two issues but I’m already positive I’ll be signing up for a subscription. Which is kinda a big deal since I got rid of ALL my magazine subscriptions about a year ago. Can’t wait to try out more of the recipes and share the results. Stay tuned!
- Cinnamon Roll Dough (see link above)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup + 2 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- 1½ TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBS whole milk
- Prep a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Make the cinnamon roll dough. Once prepared lightly punch down dough, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll into an 18x12 inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread softened butter evenly onto dough and then sprinkle with sugar mixture, leaving a ½ inch border on one of the long sides. Brush egg on the part of dough without filling.
- Starting with the opposite long side, roll the dough into a log and pinch the seam to seal together. Slice into 12 rolls and place into prepared pan. Let rise in pan in a warm area until puffed and rolls are touching each other, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake rolls about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before adding frosting.
- For the frosting: beat together softened cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy. On a low speed, slowly add in powdered sugar, beat until fluffy. Add in milk until combined. Spread onto warm rolls.
I also made this super delicious cinnamon roll pull apart bread a while back that’s definitely worth a try!